Future Trends in Leadership & Management: Shifting Priorities
Find out what the future may hold for business in our brand new research, published today, ‘Future Trends in Leadership & Management – shifting priorities’, where we explore how leadership and management might evolve to respond to our rapidly changing business environment.
The pandemic has shaken up business priorities and many predict that it will have a lasting influence on the future direction of organisations. Covid-19, as well as the rapid development of digital technologies, Brexit and environmental issues are all catalysts for an anticipated change in priorities in the next five to 10 years: when it is predicted that innovation and more compassionate leadership will take centre stage, moving away from the current priority of compliance with rules and procedures.
The research found:
- Overall, the biggest priority for the leaders and managers of organisations currently, is ensuring compliance with rules and procedures (26%)
- In the next five to ten years, leaders and managers predict that innovation will become the most important priority (33%)
- Currently 34 per cent of third sector organisations prioritise people over profit, compared to 16 per cent of private organisations and 11 per cent of public organisations.
- At the moment, small organisations are more likely to prioritise people before profit (29%).
- In the next five to 10 years, both third sector (28%) and private sector (20%) leaders see a shift in the prioritisation of people before profit.
- In the next decade, both small (27%) and (20%) in medium sized organisations, believe they will put people over profit.
Our Press Releases
- 16 December 2020
- 28 October 2020
- 19 October 2020
- 24 June 2020
- 21 May 2020
- 30 April 2020
- 12 February 2020
- 18 November 2019
Global thought-leadership voices offer their perspective on values at the first ever International Leadership Week
- 08 November 2019
- 18 October 2019
The Workforce Development Trust and The Institute of Leadership & Management join forces to unlock leadership potential
- 13 September 2019
Access to world-class, online, leadership learning set to mobilise new generation of Nigerian entrepreneurs
- 10 April 2019
- 13 August 2018
- 10 July 2018
The Institute of Leadership & Management is the professional membership body for an active, international community of over 40,000 leaders, managers, coaches and mentors – but we are much more than a professional body. We create world–class tools and resources to help unlock individual and business potential, deliver award–winning e–learning, and undertake practical research to support, develop and inspire great leadership everywhere.
We are a registered charity and governed by a board of trustees. The Institute of Leadership & Management was founded in 1948, and reclaimed its independent status as a professional body in 2016, after 15 years as part of the City & Guilds Group building the market leading ILM qualifications. This return to independence has enabled The Institute to become closer to its members, better support their leadership development, produce cutting–edge research, evidence–based learning resources and to campaign more effectively for great leadership everywhere.
ILM remains part of City & Guilds and The Institute maintains a strategic relationship with ILM to benefit all our learners, but The Institute should not be referred to as ILM.
CEO John Williams is a problem solver and strategist who joined The Institute from a career in international business and leadership development across the UK, Europe, Middle East, Far East and North America.
John is a passionate advocate of servant leadership and deeply curious about emergent strategy, predictive analytics, punctuated equilibrium and other baffling business things – he is fascinated by the prospects for artificial intelligence and the future of work.
John holds an MBA from the University of Northumbria and has been guest lecturer in strategy and international business at universities in the UK and Europe for over two decades.
He has appeared on radio and television in the UK and overseas, and has been published in titles including Huffington Post, City AM, Entrepreneur Country Online and others.
Expertise - John provides expert commentary, analysis and information on any aspect of workplace leadership and management issues. This includes:
Agility • Leadership skills gap
Diversity and inclusion
Veterans finding employment in civilian organisations
Leadership learnings from sport
Expertise: Kate provides expert commentary, analysis and information on any aspect of workplace leadership and management issues, coaching or enterprise. This includes:
- Flexible working (including shared parental leave, remote working and flexible hours)
- Workers’ mental health, neurodiversity and mindfulness
- Workplace behaviour (for example, office ‘banter’)
- Gender pay gap
- Social responsibility
- Employing veterans in civilian jobs
- Talent development and training
- Building workplace trust
- Gender equality
- Bullying and harassment
- Succession planning
- Age diverse workplace (from older workers to millennials)
- Pippa Hanson - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Luke Aldridge - email@example.com
- Carolyn Howgego - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @InstituteLM
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/institutelm/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theinstitutelm/
- Vimeo: Inst of Leadership & Management
- Podcasts: https://www.institutelm.com/research-news/podcasts.html
Our mission is to inform, inspire and impact great leadership everywhere through our award–winning leadership development tools such as MyLeadership, an extensive original research and events programme, leadership capability recognition, and leadership programme accreditation and approval
Leadership is a journey, not a destination. We recognise that leadership takes place across all levels in an organisation. This is why we work with all leaders wherever they are on their leadership journey, from first– time or aspiring leaders, to C–suite managers.
We’re passionate about inspiring great leadership across all sectors; from healthcare to finance and not–for profit organisations to universities, we work with members and organisations spanning a wide range of sectors to help them, or their employees, become better leaders.
- The Institute of Leadership & Management was founded in 1948 and celebrates 75 years of inspiring great leadership everywhere in 2023
- We have an active international community of over 40,000
- We host hundreds of events, webinars, seminars, workshops and conferences each year
- We produce authoritative, well–respected, high quality research reports
- Our five Dimensions of Leadership – Authenticity, Vision, Achievement, Ownership and Collaboration – help leaders to achieve successful outcomes in the private, public or voluntary sector
- 16 December 2020
- 17 October 2019